Saturday, March 18, 2017

seventeen things i learned at seventeen


I'm 18! Can you believe it? Haha neither can I. While it's only a fraction of some people's life, I feel like it's a big mile stone. Because honestly, it is!

I mean, I'm kind of an adult now....

Anyway, while I still have a lot to learn, here are some of the things that I either learned or had a "gentle" reminder of this year.

1. Speak positivity. 
If you speak positive things into the world, positive things will happen to you in return. If you want something to happen, say it out loud, scream it from the roof tops. Set goals, believe in them, then make them happen.

2. It's okay to step out of your comfort zone.
Actually, it's encouraged.

3. Learn to be a social butterfly.
It helps in life, especially when meeting new people. Be the first to say hello. I usually tell myself, "Channel your inner Metri."

4. Don't be afraid to ask questions.
I'd rather feel stupid asking a question than look stupid doing things wrong.


5. Stress less.
You can make it through anything. Just try to enjoy the ride. There will be more good days than bad. Remember, "God is within her, she will not fall."

6. Workout more, nap less.
I don' think this one needs any explanation.

7. You have to be self-motivated.
No one is going to hold your hand through life. You have to know what you want and do what it takes to get it.

8. Decide to make everyday a great day.
Don't let other people's moods and crap affect you. If you want to smile, smile. Do things for yourself, I don't mean be selfish. But keep your best interest in mind always, because at the end of the day, you're only responsible for your own happiness not others'.


9. Treat yourself (every once in a while).
Whether it's sleeping ten minutes extra in the morning, buying yourself a new dress, or going out to Mexican (my favorite), you deserve it! Fill life up with the things that make you happy. Don't spend all your time doing schoolwork. It'll still be there when you finish, just don't miss any deadlines!

10. Don't skip out on washing your face before bed.
This is a must! And this goes hand in hand with not waiting until you're on your last uniform shirt to wash your dirty clothes. Don't judge... we all have our lazy days.

11. Your planner is your best friend.
I definitely need to keep this one in mind. But generally besides filling out my planner, I make a lot of to-do lists and other random notes. This keeps my brain from getting cluttered.


12. It cost zero cents to be a kind person.
Just remember to be nice to people, okay? Okay.

13. Keep your faith close to your heart.
It's the best way to live. And you never know when you'll need it most.

14. Productivity is the key to life.
Stop being lazy! Everyday is a chance to get one step closer to any goal. Don't waste it. You feel so much better when you've had a productive day.

15. Write more.
A worthwhile hobby, I know. But hey, to each their own, right?


16. Enjoy the now.
The moment will fade, and the memories are simply the next best thing, so enjoy each and every day. Don't sleepwalk through life. Live a life that makes you feel something.

17. You still have a lot to learn, my friend.
Just try to learn something new everyday. And remember to stay open-minded.

If you read this all the way through, thank you so much! I'm so blessed to see another year, and I frequently remind myself not to take anything for granted.

I wonder what this next year of my life will bring?

Whatever it is, I'll cherish the memories, live in the moment, and look forward to the future.

2 comments :

  1. These 17 things are so true and so elegantly stated. You are a woman way beyond your years. I am blessed to have crossed your path. I love you, Ms. Traylor

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Get Polished